... CMB.TECH uses hydrogen
- Hydrogen can be produced purely from renewable energy and water. You just store the energy (for which you don’t have a direct use) in hydrogen molecules and you can reuse it at a later stage when there is no renewable energy available.
- It can be used in fuel cells and combustion engines, making it a flexible fuel that can be used in several future-proof drivetrains.
- The energy density of hydrogen storage is higher compared to batteries. It is just easier and cheaper to store hydrogen molecules in a tank compared to electrons in a battery.
- The refuelling of hydrogen molecules is quicker compared to the charging of a battery with green electricity.
- Hydrogen is the preferred fuel for heavy-duty long-range applications as they require a huge onboard energy storage and they don’t have time for lengthy recharging, making them hard to fully electrify.
Discover more about the hydrogen technology!
Port of Antwerp-Bruges and CMB.TECH will soon welcome the Hydrotug, the first hydrogen-powered tugboat. The Hydrotug consists of two BeHydro V12 dual fuel medium speed engines that can run on hydrogen and traditional fuel. This ground-breaking development will be used by Port of Antwerp-Bruges as an important step in the transition to a sustainable, climate neutral port by 2050 and will be operational in the first quarter of 2023.
On Tuesday, 10 May 2022, Windcat Workboats and CMB.TECH announced that the first hydrogen-powered CTV is ready for immediate operation after successful completion of trials and bunkering. This ground-breaking development for both the marine and offshore wind industries is the first CTV that uses clean fuels to reduce up to 80% of its traditional fuel usage and associated emissions. The Hydrocat 48 is a further green development, introducing clean fuel technology on the already very fuel efficient and high performing Windcat MK 3.5 design.
At the World Hydrogen Summit in Rotterdam today, BEH2YDRO is launching its 100% hydrogen engines for heavy-duty applications. These innovative, zero emission engines are ready to use and will allow the industry to further engage in 100% sustainable and environmentally friendly development. BEH2YDRO is a joint venture between ABC and CMB.TECH.